Haryana Teacher Eligibility Test (HTET) is conducted by Board of School Education Haryana (BSEH) for categories of school teachers i.e. Primary (PRT), Trained Graduate Teacher (TGT) and post Graduate Teacher (PGT) time to time. Till 2009, it was called as State Teacher Eligibility Test (STET) but after 2009 by implementation of RTE Act, 2009 and issuance of notification by the NCTE in the year 2011, this examination was renamed as HTET. This test conducts in following Three Categories:
- Level I : who intends to be a teacher for classes I to V (Primary Teacher)
- Level II : who intends to be a teacher for classes VI to VIII (TGT – Trained Graduate Teacher)
- Level III: who intends to be a PGT (Post Graduate Teacher)
The rationale for including the HTET as a minimum qualification for a person to be eligible for appointment as a teacher is as follows:
- It would bring state standard & point of teacher quality in the recruitment process;
- Those candidates who has qualified HTET/STET can also appear again for improving his/her score.
- The Validity Period of HTET qualifying certificate is five years from the date of passing HTET.
- A candidate may take this test many times for acquiring a Certificate as there is no restriction on the number of attempts.